Staghound Armoured Car
Website of the Royal New South Wales Lancers Lancer Barracks and Museum
Staghound Armoured Car T17 El: 1942+
Length: 5.48m, Width: 2.69m, Height: 2.36m , Weight: 13.95 tonnes
Crew: 5 Power-plant: Two GMC 6-cyl. petrol engines, each 97 bhp at 3000 rpm. Power steering and an automatic gearbox were standard. However, the gearbox lacked high speed reverse (a desirable feature in any reconnaissance vehicle).
Armament: 1 x 37mm (stabilised) gun M6 with 103 rounds and power traverse, 2 x .30 cal Browning Mg.
Armour: 9-45mm. Speed: 90 kph
Maker: Chevrolet Division, General Motors Corporation, USA.
The Staghound was the product of a joint effort in 1942 by British and American military staff, to draw up specifications for an armoured car. Approximately 3,000 of the original design were produced. A further 1,000 anti-aircraft models (mounting twin .50 cal Browning Mg.) were also manufactured.
The standard vehicle T17 El was named the Staghound and was a 4 x 4 car with a turret mounting a 37mm gun. Some vehicles were subsequently refitted with a 3in tank howitzer for infantry close support.
The first vehicles (182) were received in May 1944, and the total number received by August 1944, amounted to 279 vehicles.
The 1st. Australian Armoured Car Squadron was part Australia's contribution to the British Commonwealth Occupation Force (BCOF), Japan. This Unit was formed at Puckapunyal on 21 January 1946 and sailed for Japan in April of that year. The Unit returned to Australia in December 1948 and was subsequently renamed the 1st Armoured Regiment, so becoming the first armoured unit in the Australian Regular Army.
Both 1/15 RNSWL and 12/16 HRL began using the Staghound as a training vehicle from 1956. It was also used by other CMF (Reserve) Armoured Units namely 10th Light Horse W.A. By 1964, the Staghound was being replaced by other vehicles, for by that time, it was no longer capable as operating as an effective combat vehicle.
© New South Wales Lancers Memorial Museum Incorporated
ABN 94 630 140 881 - - - Site Updated May 2018
Lancer Barracks, 2 Smith Street, Parramatta NSW 2150, Australia
Telephone +61 (0)405 482 814, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Regimental enquiries call: +61 (0)2 9635 7822