The Royal New South Wales Lancers
Lancer Barracks and Museum are open for inspection next sunday, Sunday 26 May 2019
10:00 - 16:00 hrs. We are open almost every Sunday.
Tour groups of 5+ (with fewer, premium pricing applies) catered for on any day with a prior booking (please allow a week to process).
Individuals and small groups <5 can visit any day with prior booking, premium pricing applies
Entry: $10 (adult), $8 (<12 yo/Concession), $20 (family)
Group bookings $8 per head. Individual or small group (<5) premium pricing $40 per individual or group
Call or email for a non-Sunday booking
They were erected on the orders of Governor Macquarie to replace earlier barracks in Parramatta town.
Commenced in 1818, they were completed in 1820, the architect was Lieutenant John Watts of the 46th Regiment. They were to stand in an area of 3.25ha, and were designed for a company (approximately 100 officers and men).
They served as a barracks for British regiments stationed here in convict days. Some of the men would have served under Wellington in the Napoleonic wars.
British Regiments with detachments stationed at Parramatta Barracks, 1820-1850
|48th Foot||80th Foot|
|28th Foot||96th Foot|
|3rd Foot||58th Foot|
|57th Foot||99th Foot|
|39th Foot||17th Foot|
The original buildings included the two-storey building overlooking the parade ground and the single storey "Bobs Hall" nearby. There was also a twin of Bobs Hall, equal and opposite to it. There were also stables, kitchens, and privies on the perimeter. The three main buildings form three sides of a square. The walls are of sandstock brick. The two storey building was of Georgian design; the balcony and verandah were added in the C1830s.
During the 1830s, the number of troops quartered in Parramatta grew to over 360, several additional buildings in the town had to be used for military quarters. One of these was Linden House, then known as the School of Industry. When the garrison was withdrawn in 1850, the Police and Military Volunteers occupied the barracks. The Lancers came to Parramatta in 1891 when K Troop was added to the Regiment and was based in what was soon to be known as Lancer Barracks. After the South African War, the remaining single storey building was re-named "Bobs Hall" after Lord Roberts VC, the Commander in Chief.
By this time land had been taken for railway and education purposes, and with the arrival of the Lancers, accommodation was provided for the permanent cadre. An Edwardian House for the Adjutant, and a cottage for the Staff-Sergeant. In C1910, a drill hall was added. The stables were converted to a Sergeants Mess, and an Officers Mess added in the 1930s. In the 1980s, the Officers Mess was demolished, and the Sergeants Cottage renovated as a mess; the Officer's house was converted into offices.
The three principal buildings in the barracks grounds are now protected against demolition under the New South Wales Heritage Act 1977
© New South Wales Lancers Memorial Museum Incorporated ABN 94 630 140 881;
Linden House, Lancer Barracks, 2 Smith Street, PARRAMATTA, AUSTRALIA